Position: Propagation Manager
Frantz Wholesale Nursery, LLC is a leading grower of container grown trees and shrubs. From our farms in Hickman, CA, we supply landscapers, chain stores, and independent garden centers with a wide range of trees, native grasses, fruit and Citrus, roses and groundcovers. Frantz Nursery’s team of nearly 300 talented people work to ensure our products are some of the finest in the industry. Frantz Wholesale Nursery LLC takes excellent care of its employees, customers, and the communities it serves while delivering plant material that positively impacts our customers and the environment.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
The Propagation Manager performs technical and supervisory work under the direction of the General Manager and in coordination with the Production Manager. Work involves the planning, coordinating and supervising the activities of propagation personnel and establishing work organization to achieve production goals.
- Schedules and manages plant propagation staff and keeps detailed records to track crops and propagation methods.
- Responsibility for ordering and purchasing plants, seeds and propagation materials as needed.
- Manages staff to maintain liner stock and oversee the planting, maintenance and cultural needs of nursery crops in coordination with the Production Manager.
- Instructs and trains staff in job requirements, safety rules and use of equipment.
- Works with the Production Manager on irrigation and greenhouse issues and on production scheduling.
- Works with the Production Manager and General Manager on future crop planning.
- Performs related work as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must have the physical ability to cut and gather cutting stock, lift plants and materials and perform other basic nursery tasks.
- Must have considerable knowledge of the methods, equipment and practices used in propagating a wide variety of ornamental plants, including budding and grafting, soft and hard wood cuttings, and seed germination.
- Must have the ability to supervise the work of unskilled and skilled employees in their department in a manner to promote high morale and excellent performance, and must also work well with managers and employees in other departments.
- Must be able to converse in Spanish and converse and write in English.
- Proficient in Word, Excel, and the internet
- Self- motivated, able to meet timelines and schedules, and ability to make decisions that will benefit the company and our reputation
- Proficient in mechanization and automation.
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Hickman, CA 95323: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
Pay: $65,000.00 – $95,000.00 per year
This position is Exempt Full-time (Medical, 401K, Paid Vacation, Holidays)- after eligibility period met).